Suggestions Needed: Berlin, Summer of 2010 tracks
erhaps it’s too late for your hazy memories, but: what were your tracks of the summer of 2010? Much like the project I started last year, I’m planning to put together a DJ mix that reflects the sounds of my recent trip to Berlin. This is primarily directed at folks who were in Berlin last summer and were hearing the same tracks I was, but I’m still happy to have suggestions to people who were partying elsewhere. If you were hearing a track all over the place during the summer, post it in the comments! Here’s my preliminary list:
- The Gathering. “In My System (Jeff K System Mix).” Silver Network. [Marc Schneider & Jan Krueger played the fuck outta this track that summer]
- Axel Boman. “Purple Drank.” Pampa. [“I woke up with your name on my lipsssss…”]
- Laserkraft 3D. “Nein Mann.” Sme Music. [OK, not really; this wasn’t on any of the dancefloors where I went, but the track made the rounds of all of the Berlin party kids]
- Akabu. “Another World (Andre Lodemann Mix).” Z Records. [I could be wrong, but I believe there’s a bit of Debussy’s La Mer on here.]
- Kink. “E79.” Ovum.
- Maya Jane Coles. “What They Say.” RealTone Records. [Apparently, the vocal sample is from a DJ Sneak track]
- DJ Koze. “Blume der Nacht.” Pampa. [As featured on Superpitcher’s amazing RA Podcast]
- Davide Squillace. “The Other Side of the Bed.” Desolat.
- Josh One. “Contemplation (King Britt Funke Remix).” Prolifica. [A bit overdone during the summer, but lovely]
- Presence. “Sense of Danger (Motor City Drum Ensemble Other Thing Dub.” Juno Records. [Love, love, love this track, esp. around 2:44]
- Tensnake. “Coma Cat.” Defected. [Totally done to death this summer, but can’t deny that it was big.]
- IDeaL. “Schöne Frau mit Geld (LoSoul Remix).” Live at the Robert Johnson. [Bigger at Robert Johnson in Frankfurt, but still everywhere]
- Butch. “No Worries.” Cécille. [Seth Troxler was playing this everywhere he went.]
- Matt Tolfrey, Inexec, Christopher Sylvester. “Real Talk (feat. Kevin Knapp).” murmur. [That synth line is TOTALLY ripped from LeLe’s “Breakfast”]
- Chris Carrier. “Cabaret Des Belles Lettres.” Robosoul. [This track kicked my ass all summer.]
- Thyladomid. “The Voice.” Off.
- Tiger Stripes. “Lonely Girl.” Great Stuff. [I just wish this track was more popular, to be honest.]
Just like last year, I’ve created a list that is already pretty damn long. Nonetheless, suggest away! As you can see, dub and deep house were pretty hot in Berlin (along with lots of classic house and disco edits).
(And, yes, I know, I still haven’t made the 2008 mix yet. I am full of shame and overwork, but I’ll get it done soon…)